If you’re a fan of fanzines, then you’ve got to check out Ken Meyer, Jr.’s monthly column Ink Stains. Each month Ken (who is an amazing artist) posts… well, let’s let Ken explain…
I have a collection of over 200 fanzines from the 60’s-80’s that I plan to scan and talk about, one at a time. I hope to have some of the participants answer a few questions. Many of those participants are established comics professionals now, while some have gone on to other things. I will show a few snippets from each zine and give you a link to download a pdf of the whole thing, which I hope all of you will do!
For Ink Stains 45, Ken took a look at Collector #29 from 1974 from Bill G. Wilson.
Collector #29 is a huge issue and features –
- Color Star Trek cover
- Very cool cowboy drawing by Joe Sinnott (dedicated to Bill – Black?)
- An interview with Walter Koenig (Chekov from Star Trek)
- Star Trek art and articles
- John Byrne Star Trek art
- Captain Marvel art and articles (full pager by Bill Black)
- C.C. Beck art and articles
- Ken Barr full pager
- RC Harvey story and art
- Kurt Schaffenberger full page with Captain Marvel, Superman and Lois Lane
- Steve Ditko comic story
- Two full page drawings of The Thing from Another World
- Art and articles about The Shadow
- Art and articles about The Spirit
- Bill Black full page Spirit piece
- Additional art by Bill Black, Clyde Caldwell, John Byrne, Steve Ditko, Will Eisner, Steve Fabian, R.C. Harvey, Don Newton, Joe Sinnott and more.
I’d never seen Collector 29 before but would have really been blown away back in the day seeing so many pros and fans coming together in a fanzine.
Ah, the memories of the glory days of fanzines. Thanks to Ken Meyer, Jr. for making these available!