Month: February 2011
Ok. For those new to the show, Brian Stelfreeze is one of the most amazing artists working today. He can do it all… pencil, ink, color, design. I have never seen a bad piece by Brian. Yet, he is one of the most humble, approachable and appreciative artists you’ll ever meet. This is my second piece by Mr. Stelfreeze. [You can see my first here. Both are “cornerstones” of my collection.] I hope it is not my last.
Powers, the comic series [by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming] about cops in a world with super heroes and villains, has been given the green light. The pilot is set to be directed by Michael Dinner [Justified, Sons of Anarchy]; with a script from Charles “Chic” Eglee, [The Walking Dead,The Shield ]. [Via CBR.com]
The Thing poster above was created by Fernando Fro Reza as part of an on-going twice a month re-imagining of movie posters at CHUD.com. You can read more about the poster, the artist, how to get a limited edition Thing print [there are two different ones] and more about the re-imagined posters here.
I don’t know anything about “Cat Run” other than I dig the 60’s movie poster vibe it’s putting off. Even the official “Cat Run” movie site doesn’t give us any additional clues yet. If you’d like to see a big-cat-sized version of the poster you can here at IMPAwards.com.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, The Secret Life of Houdini, The Making of America’s First Superhero by William Kalush and Larry Sloman is being developed as an…
…action thriller featuring a character who is part Indiana Jones and part Sherlock Holmes, documenting his rise as a magician along with his covert involvement with the Secret Service.
Sounds like a great idea to me. You can read the full article here.
Slashfilm.com scored seven new photos from “Captain America.” I really hope that the movie lives up to it’s potential.
Recently Sherdog.com posted their rankings for the Top Ten MMA Fighters in Each Division. Here are my Top Five for Each Division:
- Cain Velasquez (9-0): Undefeated and the Champ.
- Shane Carwin (12-1): One loss and that’s to the former champ Brock Lesnar. Carwin was destroying Lesnar until Carwin gassed. I don’t believe that would happen again and that’s why I rate Carwin ahead of Brock.
- Brock Lesnar (5-2): Former champ who surprised me by agreeing to coach on TUF. Although I think Junior Del Santos would be a favorite against Brock, since they haven’t yet met I’ll give Brock the benefit of the doubt.
- Junior dos Santos (12-1): Will coach against Lesnar in the TUF and then fight him at UFC 131.
- Frank Mir (14-5): My favorite MMA fighter faces Big Country Roy Nelson at UFC 130.
- Mauricio “Shogun” Rua (19-4): The Champ.
- Jon Jones (12-1): “Bones” Jones has one loss and that was a DQ for illegal elbows against Matt Hamill. Jones was destroying Hamill when the fight was called. No one has come close to beating Jones.
- Rashad Evans (15-1-1): Evans has come a long way from his days on TUF when he was a showboating wrestler. Now he’s a legitimate contender for the belt he once held.
- Quinton “Rampage” Jackson (31-8): Talks trash as good as he fights… maybe even better than he fights.
- Lyoto Machida (16-2): At one time Machida was unbeatable. Now it seems fighters have his number. If Couture beats him at UFC 129, Machida’s glory days may over.
- Anderson Silva (28-4): The Champ with the longest undefeated streak in the UFC. Silva dominates or finds a way to win.
- Chael Sonnen (25-11-1): Dominated Anderson Silva for 4 and 1/2 rounds until Silva caught him in a triangle and forced him to tap. Sonnen has had trouble out of the ring and I’m not just talking about the crazy junk that he spouts. I’d love to see a rematch with Silva, but until and if Sonnen gets his life straightened out that ain’t gonna happen.
- Yushin Okami (26-5): Surprised me by beating Nate Marquardt [who didn’t fight at his best].
- Nate Marquardt (30-10-2): Should be fighting for the title but his loss to Okami was a major setback.
- Demian Maia (14-2): Slapped the stuffing out of Kendall Grove and then played the bongos on his back in route to a win that moved him into my top five.
- Georges St. Pierre (21-2): The Champ and my choice for best pound-for-pound fighter. I may be in the minority, but I’d pick GSP to win if he chooses to fight Anderson Silva.
- Jon Fitch (23-3, 1 NC): A great grappler who wins fights.
- Jake Shields (26-4-1): Made the jump to the UFC after upsetting Dan Henderson. Shields is going to be a force to be reckoned with.
- Martin Kampmann (17-4): His recent split-decision loss to Jake Shields moved him up in my ratings.
- Thiago Alves (18-7): A tough fighter looking to get into the title hunt.
- Frankie Edgar (13-1-1): Whooped the Prodigy twice in a row and is the Champ.
- Gray Maynard (10-0-1, 1 NC):If you can fight the Champ to a draw, you have to be ranked #2.
- Gilbert Melendez (18-2): A tough fighter who is looking to move up in weight.
- B.J. Penn (16-7-1): I’ve never been a big Penn fan. He’s talented, but never lived up to the hype.
- Eddie Alvarez (21-2): One of the toughest fighters in the division.
- Jose Aldo (18-1):The Champ
- Chad Mendes (10-0): Has yet to face a fighter who can beat him.
- Hatsu Hioki (23-4-2): a seasoned fighter with an impressive record
- Joe Warren (6-1): Claims to be the “baddest man on the planet” — did win the Bellator featherweight title
- Dustin Poirier (9-1): Impressive punching power — but will it be enough to get to the title?
- Dominick Cruz (17-1): Currently the best in a tough division.
- Brian Bowles (8-1): The man Cruz beat to win the title.
- Urijah Faber (24-4): Faber is the only man to ever beat Champion Cruz.\
- Joseph Benavidez (13-2)
- Miguel Torres (39-3): Former Champ and one of the best pound-for-pound MMA fighters in the world.
I’m not familiar enough with the Flyweights to rank them.
There’s a good chance that you’ve already seen the trailer to Dead Island. The trailer went viral because it’s so good. It is also pretty gory and very violent. I’ve watched it several times and although it’s a trailer for a game, it’s as good as any recent movie trailer. And wouldn’t you know it? According to JoBlo, Dead Island may soon be on the fast track to the silver screen.
Jesse Munoz is back with his take on Jack Carter. Jesse has a DA site and website where you can see more of his art. This is my third Stallone piece by Jesse. It was part of the three card set below. Sweet, huh?
“Sly Stallone‘s still the man for international buyers. IM Global’s $40 million-budgeted Sylvester Stallone action project Headshot attracted heat here at the European Film Market with German giant Constantin taking the hit for local territory rights in a major pre-sale deal.” – that’s a quote from The Hollywood Reporter and you can read the full piece here.
“Walking Dead” fans will be happy to hear that McFarlane Toys will soon begin producing action figures for Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead comic series as well as AMC’s adaptation of The Walking Dead. CBR.com spoke with Todd McFarlane [McFarlane Toys CEO] at the 2011 New York Toy Fair and posted photos and a full report here.
Here’s the latest poster for the highly anticipated Battle for LA. Although the poster isn’t as cool as I’d hoped, it still adds to my interest in the movie. IMPAwards has LAmongous version that you can see here.
Here are my answers to a fun little personal quiz that’s making the rounds…
A – Available/Single? Nope. Married for 30 years.
B – Best Friend? Not counting family… John Beatty, but he’s like my brother, so can I count him?
C – Cake or Pie? Depends on the cake or pie and if ice cream is involved. Most likely pie, though.
D – Drink Of Choice? Diet Coke, water and McDonald’s Frappes!
E – Essential Item You Use Everyday? My computer.
F – Favorite Color? Depends on my mood and the item.
G – Gummy Bears Or Worms? Worms, but the Gummy Squids ain’t bad.
H – Hometown? Terre Haute, Indiana but I now call Port Orange home,
I – Indulgence? My Sylvester Stallone themed art collection.
K – Kids & Their Names? Mike and Chris.
L – Life Is Incomplete Without? Laughter.
M – Marriage Date? June 28th.
N – Number Of Siblings? 3
O – Oanges Or Apples? Oranges if we’re talking juice. Apples if we’re talking keeping the doctor away.
P – Phobias/Fears? None. Although I am pretty jumpy at movies.
Q – Favorite Quote? “It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.”
R – Reason to Smile? The new season of “Justified” has started.
S – Season? Yes, the new season of “Justified” has started.
T – Tag Three or Four People? I stopped playing tag in grade school.
U – Unknown Fact About Me? I can moonwalk.
V – Vegetable you don’t like? Beets
W – Worst Habit? I sometimes bite my nails.
X – X-rays You’ve Had? Teeth, chest, abdomen, hand.
Y – Your Favorite Food? Ribeye Steak.
Z – Zodiac Sign? Libra – I’m all about justice and “Justified.“