Month: February 2008
1. Brian’s Song (1971) – Yes.
2. Rudy (1993) – Nope.
3. Saving Private Ryan (1998) – Yep
4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975) – Kind of.
5. The Natural (1984) – Never saw it.
6. Shawshank Redemption (1994) – Nope.
7. Shindler’s List (1993) – Nope.
8. Old Yeller (1957) – Yes.
9. The Pride of the Yankees (1942) – Nope.
10. Terms of Endearment (1983) – Never saw it.
11. The Iron Giant (1999) – Close…
12. Philadelphia (1993) – Nope.
13. Big Fish (2003) – Nope.
14. Million Dollar Baby (2004) – Yeah.
15. Life is Beautiful (1997) – Never saw it.
16. Love Actually (2003) – Never saw it.
17. Rocky (1976) – No, but when Mick dies in “Rocky III”…
18. The Pianist (2002) – Never saw it.
19. Mystic River (2003) – No.
20. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962) – No.
So, you’ve read
the list. Who’s the bigger crybaby?
If you can make it, swing by John Beatty’s table and say, “Hi.” I’ll be the guy not drawing.
It probably would have ended sooner, but the ref pulled Kimbo off Tank after Kimbo repeatedly punched Tank in the back of the head after the first knockdown. The ref walked Kimbo to the other side of the cage and allowed Tank to stand up and regain some composure. Then when the ref started to allow them to fight again, Kimbo’s mouthpiece was found in the center of the ring and the ref once again held up the action. Kimbo threw his mouthpiece into the crowd and the fight was again started. Three more quick knockdowns followed and the fight was stopped.
So what did this fight prove? Not much. Maybe two things: 1] Kimbo can put fans in the seats. The 7,000 seat arena was sold out and the place went crazy when Kimbo entered. 2] When Rick Flair retires from professional wrestling Tank Abbott can take his place because he definitely has Flair’s patented “front fall” down pat.
Until Kimbo fights a ranked fighter, we’re really not going to know how good he is or how good he can be. My guess is that Ken Shamrock [as old as he is] would have given him a much better fight. I’d really like to seeKimbo enter the cage with Brock Lesner. I’d even pay money to see that.
Kimbo is a youtube legend thanks to his quick knockouts of big and mostly tough [but unskilled] backyard fighters. Kimbo has had one official MMA fight which lasted all of 19 seconds. He had [what is now being called] an exhibition fight where he chocked out Ray Mercer [an old boxer] in less than one minute.
Tank Abbott fought in MMA fights back when the Earth was just starting to cool. Less rules and less skills needed then. Tank would come out swinging and if you weren’t knocked out and could last until Tank gassed [which usually didn’t take too long] odds were you could beat him. Still, Tank was popular with the fans. Much more popular than his 9-13 record would lead you to believe. Tank’s had 6 fights in the last 5 years [losing five of them and none going past the first round].
Looking at their records and who they’ve fought it’s hard to imagine Kimbo vs Abbott as a main event. But I gotta admit that I’d tune in if I had Showtime.