If you’re a fan of fanzines, then you’ve got to check out Ken Meyer, Jr.’s monthly column Ink Stains. Each month Ken (who is an amazing artist) posts… well, let’s let Ken explain…
I have a collection of over 200 fanzines from the 60’s-80’s that I plan to scan and talk about, one at a time. I hope to have some of the participants answer a few questions. Many of those participants are established comics professionals now, while some have gone on to other things. I will show a few snippets from each zine and give you a link to download a pdf of the whole thing, which I hope all of you will do!
For Ink Stains 47, Ken took a look at Fantastic Fanzine Special #2 from 1972 from Editor: Gary Groth and Publisher: Alan Light
Fantastic Fanzine Special #2 features –
- Wraparound cover by Dave Cockrum
- Spot illos by Dave Cockrum, Dennis Fujitake
- Articles by Gary Groth, Jan Strnad, Martin Pasko
- Transcript of James Warren’ keynote speech at the 1971 Comic Art Convention
- Photos from the 1971 Comic Art Convention (the pros looked mighty young)
- Coverage of The Parade of Super-Stars with winner Mike Zeck as Black Bolt!
- Coverage of a Q & A with Steranko!
- Berni Wrightson full pager
- Plus more articles and fan art
I’d never seen Fantastic Fanzine Special #2 before. To me the highlight is the Steranko Q&A, the photos from the 1971 con and of course see my buddy, Mike Zeck rockin’ it as Black Bolt!
Ah, the memories of the glory days of fanzines. Thanks to Ken Meyer, Jr. for making these available!